Designated the state capital in 1827, Augusta is located in Kennebec County, near the Kennebec River.
This area was first set up as a trading post by English settlers in 1625. After a bout of profitable fur trading, the settlers abandoned the site. In 1754, Fort Western was built. It was incorporated into the town of Hallowell in 1771, but in 1797 the area upstream broke off into a town called Harrington. The name was soon after changed to Augusta after the Congressman from New Hampshire Henry Dearborn's daughter.
Pine Tree State Arboretum
The Blaine House
Maine State Museum
Old Fort Western